Waiving 8th Semester of Residency

Students have the right to petition for a waiver of the final semester of full-time study in the day school.* A waiver will be considered for extraordinary reasons. A student’s formal, written petition shall consist of the following:

  1. a letter from the student to the Associate Provost for Academic Policy & Mission Support (in his/her capacity as Chair of the Committee on Academic Status) that provides a detailed explanation of the reasons why the student believes the waiver of College policy is warranted; and
  2. a letter of support from the student’s academic advisor; for students in the PCSB, the endorsement of the PCSB Dean’s Office that provides an assurance of completion of the advisee’s degree by the proposed date of completion, as well as the advisability of the proposed petition.  

The material for the petition for waiver (both the student’s and advisor’s) must be received electronically by email (mnowel@providence.edu) no later than the last official day of the semester in which the student is planning to submit his/her petition. Any letters received after the deadline will not be considered until the following semester. 

FAQ on Waiving the final semester in the day school

* General Degree Requirements include the following: “Undergraduate students must spend at least eight semesters in full-time attendance, unless the period is reduced by advanced standing credit from another institution as reviewed and approved by the Associate Provost for Academic Policy & Mission Support. The College reserves the right, for extraordinary reasons, to allow graduation at the completion of seven semesters following the successful petition by students to the Committee on Academic Status. Students may also petition the Committee on Academic Status to be allowed to accelerate their degree program, through Summer and/or Winter Session work (usually through the Providence College School of Continuing Education); such petitions must be received by the Associate Provost for Academic Policy & Mission Support by the end of their sophomore year. Appeals of the decisions of the Committee on Academic Status should be presented to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, whose decisions will be final.”